Thursday, May 31, 2012
Friday, May 18, 2012
More recentish (and random) things:
Mike had another birthday a couple weeks back. He's big into comics so on his birthday we finally got ourselves over to the Toronto Comic Arts Festival. I don't consider myself a big graphic novel gal but honestly TCAF was awesome and you should go next year. I will be too. Among the goodies we bought at the show was this diamond pin from Ginette Lapomme and the crazy cool comic By This You Shall Know Him from Jesse Jacobs.
I've been spending so much time with this girl lately. This Juki that Sandi and I bought for Falconwright has been the best thing ever. I love her so very much. We have a new collection on the horizon and it's gonna be a good one.
You know when you make something new and then all you ever want to eat again is that thing? Well here's that new thing for you: Homemade. Tortillas. My mom nagged me to make them and I didn't forever but finally did. Guys- so easy.
Here is my super quick recipe:
* Get: 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup water
* Mix dry stuff; finely chop butter in dry stuff; Mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water until it becomes doughy (add more flour if too sticky); roll up into large jet ball sized lumps and roll out on floured surface (thicker turns out kind of like naan bread, thinner is more like a tortilla wrap)
* Fry in hot dry pan until they get puffed up bubbles and get brown on one side, flip and they're done
* Eat forever with anything and everything.
Planted herbs finally. No large garden endeavor for us this year, just a few planter boxes on our porch with edibles for summer cooking.
And just because I'm in love with them, these are my new summer sandals! Oh yeah.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
1) Spring Flowers!! Super pinks that make my heart flip.
2) Did you read our last High Five post over on the Falconwright blog? Well I said I wanted to make a giant seed bead necklace and I finally did. It's heavy :)
3) Speaking of necklaces, here's one by Lazy Oaf that I got a while back that I've started wearing finally- good for happy and cranky days.
4) But also back on the DIY front, I prettied up a plain ikea lamp cord with a bit of turquoise spray paint. Not having overhead lighting requires some creativity to make crappy hanging cords look not (so) crappy.
5) Annnd balloons trapped in a billboard sign outside my living room window.
And also- I signed up for twitter! If you're into it you can follow me here